Thursday, February 10, 2005

Viva Brizvegas!!

I liked Brisbane from the day that I arrived there. It had everything that a city needed plus good weather, great geography, open spaces, energetic city fathers and a lovely river running through it. (Unlike that useless, wet, brown stripe that runs through London or Melbourne and more like Perth's Swan River.) I stayed in a Hostel called Aussie Way. It was great, there was a house behind it that the owner had purchased and it housed the long-termers. There was a pool, it was close to the city, the station and all the nightlife on Caxton Street and, most important, the atmosphere was good.

I set about looking for work. My original plan had been to get a bit further north to where the mines were, but my cash was not going to stretch that far. I let my fingers do the walking and then I hit the road with a list of addresses. Because I have been a bit of a journeyman, my CV does not make the greatest reading. I need to speak to people and that way I can often get my foot in a door. After a couple of days, the drilling idea petered out. I would need to go up North and find the guys in the field offices. There were only besuited engineers/pen-pushers living the comfy city life chasing contracts. Next stop - Apple Service Centres. I had worked in Holland for ADT, a part of Global Resources who had established a Europe wide repair facility for certain models in Apples range. Working as an Apple Technician seemed like a good idea. Brisbane had a number of Apple shops according to the trusty Yellow Pages and armed with another list, I hit the road again.

Later on, people who knew Brisbane's Apple scene were a little disbelieving when I said that I walked to every Apple-related service agent in one day, but I did. Most were helpful, one was very helpful and the last one asked me to come in two days time and do a bit of work for them so they could evaluate me. Done. I had the job and I was stationed in Brisbane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<xBlogxPhilesx>